History of Standrod, Utah
Taken From Box Elder County (Links Added)

Standrod

Standrod is a little like the two Kansas Cities that are separated by the Missouri River. Standrod, Utah is located against the Clear Creek Mountains, part of the Sawtooth Range, while Standrod, Idaho is directly across the street from it into Idaho. It is located 12 miles west of Strevell, Idaho, partially in Box Elder County, Utah and the rest in Cassia County, Idaho. It is surrounded by mountains on three sides and the beautiful Raft River Valley is to the north — out of the wind and very pleasant.

Standrod was first known as One Mile in the early 1870's. Gosiute Indians (sometimes referred to as “Digger Indians” because they dug for roots, burrowing animals and insects) used the surrounding mountains for hunting grounds and a “lookout” point. They were poor, peaceful Indians who lived in caves, rock shelters and wicki-ups.

The first white men in the area were cowboys employed by various cattle barons. The railroad planned to go through an area close to Standrod at one time so settlers moved in, building a school, store and blacksmith shop directly on the Utah-Idaho border. However, the railroad never arrived. The first white settlers in the area found the winters hard and supplies difficult to come by. The morale of these people rose and fell as the ocean tide, but they didn’t turn back. They were strong people with much faith who still enjoyed dancing and singing and each other’s company. People began arriving to settle Standrod at a rapid rate in 1900. Homesteading filled the flat with cabins between Standrod and Raft River. Droughts and poor soil prevented them from making a living and soon drove them away.

Prior to 1900, people got their mail seven miles north of Standrod down by the narrows where the pony express station existed. The post office was called Erncliff. In 1903 a brick schoolhouse was erected on the state line in the middle of town and served not only as a school, but a place for all community affairs including meetings, a church, and a place for dances. There was also a prosperous saw mill up One Mile. Two old saw mills still stand east of Standrod, and three large, brick homes built with bricks from Almo, Idaho, prior to 1900 are still standing. The name of One Mile was later changed to Judge Standrod in honor of Judge Standrod of Malad who was eager for Idaho Statehood.

Agriculture is still the main source of income for the people. Hay is the main crop, but some grain is also grown. Cattle and sheep graze on the fertile mountain sides. The average yearly rainfall is between 10 and 22 inches, and the growing season is 120 to 160 days without frost. Malta, Idaho is 30 miles to the north where the children from Standrod now attend school. Many residents attended an LDS Church in Yost (10 miles southwest of Standrod) until 1977 when it closed its doors. They then had to travel 25 miles on dirt roads to Almo to attend church services.

Burley, Idaho, 65 miles to the north, is the closest large town, while Tremonton, Utah is the largest town to the south, approximately 70 miles. The good folks of Standrod enjoy a quiet, undisturbed atmosphere. The town is accessed by gravel roads.

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers