Adopted April 3, 1896, at the first regular session of the Legislature (January, February, March, April 1896). The seal was designed by Harry Edwards; the original seal cost $65.00. The great seal is described in Utah Code Annotated, 1953, Volume 7a, section 67-2-9 as follows:
"The Great Seal of the State of Utah shall be two and one-half inches in diameter, and of the following device; the center a shield and perched thereon an American Eagle with outstretching wings; the top of the shield pierced by six arrows crosswise; under the arrows the motto "INDUSTRY"; beneath the motto a beehive, on either side growing sego lilies; below the figures "1847"; on each side of the shield an American Flag.; encircling all, near the outer edge of the seal, beginning at the lower left-hand portion, the words, "THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF UTAH", with the figures "1896" at the base.