Eccles joined with C.W. Nibley and others to build factories in Ogden (1898), Logan (1901), and Lewiston (1905). These and other factories
outside the state were combined in 1915 as the Amalgamated Sugar Company.
The LDS Church and its associates built a factory in Garland in 1903,
as well as others in Idaho to form the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company in 1907.
American Sugar Refining Company, under the leadership of Henry Havemeyer,
purchased a controlling interest in all of these factories in 1902.
The advantages of this arrangement were that it returned capital to
local investors, left the management of the companies in the hands of
local people, and promised that Havemeyer and his associates would put
up half the money on new factories. Havemeyer also furnished "three
wise men" from the East--a chemist, an engineer, and an agronomist--to
serve as technical advisors. This deal made possible the erection of
factories in Garland and Lewiston. Later
factories were built either by Utah-Idaho and/or local interests: in Elsinore (1911), Payson (1913), Layton (1915), West Jordan (1916), Brigham
City (1916), Moroni (1917), Delta (1917), Mapleton (1918), Gunnison (1918), and Honeyville (1920). Most of
these factories employed Lehi "alumni" to pass on the benefit of their