Sugar House (Salt Lake) was established in 1853, six years after the arrival of the Mormon Pioneers. It is located west of the mouth of Parleys Canyon, and encompasses the approximate area southeast of Salt Lake City: 1700 South to 2700 South and 700 East to 2000 East. The name was suggested by Margaret McMeans Smoot inspired by the local sugar mill. However, the sugar mill project never got off the ground. An earlier attemt to produce paper also failed. However, in recognition of the beet sugar manufacturing effort, a monument in the form of an obelisk was erected in the center of town where Highland Drive and 2100 South meet.
The area includes the following schools: Dilworth Elementary, Highland Park Elementary, Clayton Middle School, Highland High and Westminster College. Sugar House Park and Highland High School now dominate a large section of land previously occupied by the Sugar House State Prison. The prison closed in 1951 and the 400 resident inmates were moved to the Utah State Prison in Draper. Another nearby park is Fairmont Park with lots of shade trees, picnic areas, playgrounds, ball fields and other amenities.