(Salt Lake) is centrally located in the Salt Lake Valley between Kearns 3.5 miles (5.63km) to the west and Murray 2.9 miles (4.66 km) to the east. Highway U-68 runs north and south through the heart of Taylorsville.
In 1848 Pioneers Joseph and Susanna Harker from England crossed over the Jordan River and settled the Bennion/Taylorsville area . Hence, the place was known as "Over Jordan" for a while.
Taylorsville was part
of West Jordan and was known as North Jordan early on. The settlement was later renamed
Taylorsville after the Taylor family who were early settlers in this
area. John Taylor, third president of the Mormon
Church was a member of the Taylor family.
At this writing, Taylorsville, a relatively new city (1996), is the 10th largest city in Utah. Within the boundaries of Taylorsville are found six elementary schools, two jr. high schools and one high school. Taylorsville is in the Granite School District.
G. William Wiersdorf