German colony came from Tremont, Illinois, in the spring of 1900 and
settled on or near the Salt Creek. They soon built nice homes and improved
their farms. The townsite of Tremonton was laid out early in the spring
of 1903 by John Shuman, Fred Nihart, and John Petty on part of their
farms. They chose the site because of its location on the Malad branch
of the Oregon Short Line railroad and because it was centrally located
on the crossroads in the Bear River Valley.
C. Wilson of Bear River City purchased the first lot and built a building
which he used as office and sales room for his hardware business. His
lumber was piled at the side of the office in the sagebrush. He opened
his door for business on 14 April 1903.