transferred to the Strategic Air Command (SAC) in March 1947 and used
by bombardment groups deploying on maneuvers. A typical exercise consisted
of thirty planes departing Wendover on a mission of ten hours and returning
to Wendover, where they dropped their bombs.
Force Base, renamed in 1947, was inactivated on 1 October 1949 and transferred
to the Ogden Air Material Area in 1950. The range continued to be utilized
for bombing and gunnery practice. Tactical Air Command (TAC) reactivated
the base in 1954 and tactical units deployed there for exercises. TAC
utilized the base for the next four years and spent several million
dollars renovating facilities. Wendover was transferred to Ogden in
1958 and renamed Wendover Air Force Auxiliary Field (AAF). The range
was renamed Hill Air Force Range in 1960 and the base was again inactivated
in January 1969.
In 1955 the Air
Force assigned its airmunition functions to Hill AFB, Utah, and construction
of an airmunitions and missile test facility (Oasis) was completed in
1964. The mission of the facility was to provide isolated areas for
testing airmunitions including missiles, the Minuteman ICBM, "smart
bombs," shelf tests of stored munitions, and hazardous material storage.
The 2721st Munitions and Maintenance Test Squadron was activated at
Hill AFB in 1989 to support storage and testing of airmunitions, including
ICBMs, and missile dissection and analysis. Its newest mission is the
destruction of nuclear missiles.