History of Wendover, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-5-

In 1971, after a public hearing, a design for a section of Interstate 80 was approved which, beginning at the state line and extending east, bypassed Wendover on the north. In 1990, under mayor "Ab" Smith, a ten-acre parcel of land was set aside as the town's first cemetery. The Bonneville Speedway Museum tells the story of the Salt Flats with historic cars; and Danger Cave, two miles northeast of town in the Silver Island Range, is a major archaeological site that once was home to various prehistoric desert cultures.

The community is served by the Salt Flat News, Wendover Relay and High Desert Advocate newspapers. Wendover was the site of the completion of the first transcontinental telephone line in 1914, and in 1942 an all-weather telephone cable was joined at Wendover.

See: Amy Miller and Orrin Miller, eds., History of Tooele County, Vol. II (1990).

Ouida N. Blanthorn


Page 5
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers