historical development of Woods Cross is directly linked to water. Pioneer
settlers in 1848 selected the area's rich bottom lands to establish
their farms -- generations of fertile silt deposits from the overflowing
channels of Mill Creek created some of the best farm land in the state.
The mountain watersheds east of Woods Cross retained rain and melting
snows until saturation sent runoff water into the boggy meadows and
sloughs of the bottoms. Here some of the water was trapped and absorbed
into underground aquifers preserving fresh water along the eastern edge
of the Great Salt Lake.
the early settlers of the area was Daniel Wood, for whom Woods Cross
is named. By 1855 he was the wealthiest man in Woods Cross with land,
houses, and personal possessions worth nearly $14,000. He built a school
in 1854, a church in 1863, and in 1869 gave the lower portion of his
rich farm gratis for a railroad depot and crossing--called Woods Crossing,
then shortened to Woods Cross.