Alpine is on U-74 five miles north of
American Fork near the mouth of American Fork Canyon. It was the
first settled in the fall of 1850 by W. H. Hooper, Quincy Knowlton,
and George M. Burgess who developed a cattle ranch in the area. Several
early names for the settlement include Fort Wordsworth for William S.
Wordsworth, Dry Creek Settlement, and later, Mountainville, because of
the adjacent high mountains. Brigham Young
is reported to have liked the name Mountainville, but considered Alpine
more expedient and appropriate. Following legislative action,
the settlement of Mountainville was incorporated as the City of Alpine on
January 10, 1855.