Altonah (Duchesne) is in the upper benchland
country adjacent to the south central Uinta
Mountains. Altamont is three miles
south and Mountain Home is five miles
west southwest. The site was originally settled in 1906, but was named
Alexander after Robert and Milton Alexander who were early settlers.
After the townsite was finalized in January 1912, its name was changed
to Altonah which refers to its comparative altitude. There was also
an early temporary name variant-Queen City meaning queen of all it surveyed.