|History of Gandy, Utah|
|Courtesy of OnlineUtah.us. (Links Added)|
Gandy (Millard) a small ranching community is in the Snake Valley ca. 3 miles from the Nevada border, thirty-five miles southwest of Fish Springs and ca. 29 miles north of highway 6/50. Other Utah settlements in the area include Garrison, and Eskdale to the south, Trout Creek and Callao to the north. Partoun is northeast. Baker, Nevada is just across the Utah Idaho border on U-6/50. The Pony Express and Overland Stage traveled just north of Gandy.
The original homesteaders were Triffly, Alex and Alfred Doutre and Almond Rhoades. It was Rhoades who planted an orchard and brought the first threshing machine into the valley. He also planted the poplars imported from Italy which make up the beautiful lane leading to the current Bates' home. Water for the area comes out of nearby Gandy Mountain from a spring-fed cavern.
Gandy was originally known as Smithville. However, to avoid confusion with other Smithvilles, it was later changed to Gandy, named after the oldest resident, Isaac Gandy, 1835-1904. Other early settlers included the families of George Bishop who moved here from Deseret, Utah, Tom and Joe Carter from Nephi and Harry Perison from Chicago. A couple of sheep owners by the names of W. C. Berry and A. G. Earl settled near the salt marsh. At the time they were the only ones in the valley to own a buggy. Today there remain seven families in Gandy. Mail delivery is twice per week.
A delightful attraction in Gandy worth seeing is Crystal Ball Cave. The cave, discovered in 1956 by George Sims, is ca. 600' (182.88m) in length. It was filled with water at least twice during its history at which time calcite crystals have grown in rounded shapes on the ceiling and floor as well as on limestone boulders. Hence the name, Crystal Ball Cave. Platforms of corollois groupings substantiate the existence of past water levels. Inside there are hundreds of stalactites, stalagmites, helictites and columns. One large column measures 8' (2.44m) high and and 1' (0.30m) in diameter. An interesting phenomenon, caused by circulation of air inside the cave, is the formation of barnacles on the wind-exposed side of the stalagmites and stalactites. The down-wind side remains completely smooth and free of barnacles. The cave has yielded fossils and bones, from the Pleistocene era, of small horses, saber toothed cats, bison, camels, a type of skunk, big horn sheep, musk ox and marmots.
Just a few hundred feet south of the cave entrance is Gandy Warm Springs.
Note: Cave tours are available by appointment only at 435-693-3145
See: North Snake Valley Part I, Marlene Bates; Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott.
|G. William Wiersdorf|
A Theme On Gandy By Eighth Grade Pupil
"Gandy is located in the extreme northwestern corner of Millard County one hundred and fifty miles from Fillmore by way of Delta. It is located in Snake Valley named after the Snake Indians. That valley is about a hundred miles long by about sixteen miles in width.
The first person to settle in Gandy was Mr. Almon Roads he later sold to Isaac Gandy and he to James Robison, thence to his son Isaac who sold to Alfred Bishop the present owner.
The post office was first located at Smithville seven miles south of Gandy and moved to Gandy in 1900.
The name Gandy was given it in honor of the second settler Mr. Isaac Gandy. The families now living in Gandy are Alfred J. Bishop, Albert J. Bishop, John Knight, Tass Claridge, Lawrence Bishop, Floyd Bishop, Frank Parker, Harold Parker, George Sims, John H. Singleton, Glen Peck, Chester Foote, Ward Robison and Nisha Peanum. There are twelve children in the school."