is located approximately 120 miles southeast of Salt
Lake City in Carbon County. Known
as the "Hub of Carbon County," and situated seven miles north of Price,
the county seat, Helper has always reflected an ethnically diverse population,
with southern and eastern European groups rising to positions of prominence
within the community.
initial settlement of the Helper area commenced in the early 1880s with
the arrival of Teancum Pratt and his plural wives Annie and Sarah. However,
only after the arrival of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railway in 1881-82 did Helper begin to develop as a population center. Pratt
also mined coal, supplying the residences throughout the fledgling town.
1887 the D&RGW had erected some twenty-seven frame residences, with
more built later in the year. This was done in anticipation of making
Helper a freight terminal upon the changing of the line from narrow
to standard gauge, which began in 1889. Here, "helper" locomotives would
stand in readiness to aid trains traveling up the steep grade to Soldier
Summit, thus the name Helper.