OnlineUtah.com Banner
History of Deep Creek Mountains, Utah, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia. (Links Added)
-5-

Gold Hill and Goodwin townsites lie at the northeastern end of the Deep Creek mountains. It has been the scene of several mining booms and busts since the 1870's, when a lead-silver smelter was built at Clifton mining district near Gold Hill. The first large scale boom occurred in the early 1890's, when several hundred thousand dollars in gold was shipped out by Colonel James F. Woodman. Up to 1,500 people resided in Gold Hill from 1917 to 1925. The Deep Creek Railroad hauled out hundreds of tons of tungsten during those years. The Gold Hill Standard carried local news and advertisements for such establishments as the Hillcrest Hotel, Goodwin Mercantile, the Gold Hill Pharmacy and pool hall, Bertelson's grocery & clothing store, the Liberty Garage, the Home Restaurant and Bakery, plus two lumber yards. There was also a post office, a doctor, a dentist, an elementary school, and even a house of ill-repute.

Gold Hill was revived during World War II because the U.S. Government needed arsenic. Almost 100,000 tons of arsenic were mined from 1943 to 1945. Since then, Gold Hill has been a ghost town with only a handful of residents residing there.

See: Ronald R. Bateman, Deep Creek Reflections. Salt Lake City: Publisher's Press, 1984.

Ronald R. Bateman


Page 5
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers