Wendover Air Force Base, opened in 1939 as sub-post of Fort Douglas' bombing and gunnery range, finally achieved official Army Air Base status in 1942. During World War II, Wendover served as a training facility for high-altitude formation flying, long-range navigation, target identification, and simulated combat bombing missions. Wendover also trained the plane crews which dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Since the early '60's the base has seen very little activity, and while part has been converted to civilian uses, that portion remaining under Air Force control is administered by Hill Air Force Base. Utah General Depot (UGD) received its eighth name, Defense Depot Ogden, on January 1, 1964. At the time of its construction during World War II, it was the largest quartermaster depot in the United States, and an indispensable and permanent link in the Army's supply system. The main duties of UGD were to furnish the western states with all their nonperishable subsistence items. With the outbreak of the Korean War, receipts and shipments jumped proportionately. As during World War II, the Depot also assisted in training military personnel for the Korean campaign. Defense Depot Ogden continues to remain one of the largest supply depots in the United States.