History of Hill Air Force, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia. (Links Added)

The Ogden Arsenal was transferred to Hill AFB on 1 April 1955, and Ogden was immediately assigned responsibility for Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and for most Air Force airmunitions. A facility to test airmunitions was completed in 1964 at the Hill AFB Bombing and Gunnery Range in the desert west of the Great Salt Lake. The facility was renamed the Utah Test and Training Range, and operation was transferred to the Air Force Systems Command in 1979; however, Hill still manages range property.

Ogden began missile management with its assignment in 1954 of the Snark, a subsonic intercontinental missile. The Bomarc interceptor missile was assigned in 1957 and the Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in January 1959. Boeing assembled the Minuteman at Hill, completing the first missile in July 1962. The Titan II ICBM was assigned in 1965 and the Advanced Intercontinental Ballistic Missile in 1975. President Reagan named the latter "Peacekeeper," and it became operational in December 1986. Commodities managed by Ogden include aircraft wheels and brakes (beginning in 1952), flight simulators (1955), and tires and tubes (1958). Photographic supply was assigned in 1954, and photographic and reconnaissance equipment in 1965.

Page 2
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |