OnlineUtah.com Logo
History of Perry, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia. (Links Added)
-2-

While surrounding communities were building forts to protect themselves from the Indians, the residents of Three Mile Creek made friends with the Indians, who would bring wild game and trade it for what was called "white face bread." They taught the settlers to cure and tan deer hides to make coverings for their feet.

There was a small settlement of Welsh immigrants midway between Three Mile Creek and Brigham City. Among the first settlers of the area were Benjamin Jones, Kidwalendar Owens, David Peters, Thomas Mathias, and John Roberts. They chose to meet with those living in Box Elder until 1868 when the two communities joined together and organized a Sunday School.

The first brick school building in Box Elder County was built in Perry in 1874. It was erected ostensibly for a meetinghouse, but was used for school purposes also. In 1899 a new meetinghouse was erected, a two-story building 32 by 60 feet with a tower and large double doors on the west. The building was constructed under the direction of Bishop James Nelson at a cost of $5,000. This building has had several additions, and when a new LDS meetinghouse was built in 1974-75 it was sold to a theatrical group and is now home to the Heritage Theater. Live productions delight people throughout northern Utah each month.


Page 2
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers