The first bishop of the Mormon community was John Glover Smith, who was called in 1860. Summit was eventually renamed Smithfield after Smith. In 1874 the United Order was introduced to the church members. Sixty-three families joined and 568 acres were divided into five districts, with a supervisor over each. Besides agriculture the order also included the Smithfield Co-operative Mercantile. Other industries included a sawmill, lime kiln, tannery, molasses mill, grist mill, cabinet-making factory, and blacksmith shop. Although the order was proclaimed a failure in 1875, some LDS church members in the area continued to partially practice it for some time. Construction on the Smithfield Tabernacle began in 1881 and was completed about twenty years later. In 1906 the town was divided into two wards; it has since grown to thirteen LDS wards.