OnlineUtah.com Logo
History of Enoch, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-4-

During the year 1869, John P. Jones and sons moved from the fort and purchased land and springs on the east bench of the community. John P. Jones, who was an iron worker, built a blast furnace and coke oven and melted iron and molded fire grates, dog irons, cogwheels, and even a 500 pound hammer to drive the piles for irrigation dams being constructed in southern Utah. The blast furnace did not use iron ore, but used scrap iron in its operation. The blast furnace was made from the boiler of an old railroad steam engine. This was the first blast furnace west of the Mississippi River.

The community retained its original name of Johnson's Springs until 1890, when they petitioned the government for a post office. As there was already a settlement in Utah called Johnson Springs, the citizens changed the name to Enoch, and the first post office in Iron County was established.


Page 4
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers