is not known how Richmond received its name, but some believe it was
in honor of LDS Church apostle Charles C. Rich.
Others think that the name came from the deep rich mound of soil located
on the alluvial fan made by the waters coming from Cherry Creek and
City Creek; other believe that it was named after Richmond, Virginia,
by "homesick" southern settlers. Richmond was incorporated as a city
on 26 February 1868.
Richmond's early industries were a shingle mill, gristmill, sawmill,
and the Richmond Co-operative Mercantile Store, built in 1866. Cache
Valley is a great dairy and cattle area, and Richmond boasted of having
the first creamery in the area. In 1896 the Utah Plow Factory was started;
it produced plows, bobsleds, iron harrows, and cultivators. Other early
businesses included two livery stables, a furniture store, and a tin
shop. In the 1870s and 1880s Richmond was second to Logan in manufacturing
in Cache County. The Sego Milk Plant began operation in 1904 and became
a thriving industry for the area. Before its closure it was owned by
Western General Dairies, Inc. Today the major industries in Richmond
are Pepperidge Farms, Lower Food, and Heart to Heart (which manufactures
low-fat yogurt products).