Uintah in Weber County is located at the mouth of Weber Canyon five miles south of Ogden and twenty-five miles north of Salt Lake City. It is bordered by the Weber River on the south and west, by the Uintah Bench on the north, and the Wasatch Mountains on the east. The town occupies approximately three square miles in an area noted for frequent east winds out of Weber Canyon.
Long before the first Anglo-Europeans came to Utah, the Uintah area was a favorite camping and hunting ground for Native Americans as they traveled through Weber Canyon. Archeological work has revealed Native American presence dating back at least 5,000 years. In fact, Uintah is named after the Weber Ute Band of Shoshoni Indians which occupied the area at the time of White settlement.
The history of the town of Uintah can be described as a series of three population booms. As early as 1850, eight Mormon families located at a point on the Weber River which became known as East Weber. The first settlers were John M. Bybee, Lewis Hardy, Joseph Kingsbury, Daniel Smith, Henry Beckstead, Joseph Hardy, John Windward and John L. Smith. Lewis Hardy was the leading spirit of the group. In 1850 or early 1851 the Pioneer Canal was constructed and farming operations commenced.