By the Spring of 1852 additional settlers had come into the area and it was expected East Weber would develop into a place of some importance. Abaih Wadsworth was appointed to preside over the ecclesiastical affairs of the community. A town was laid out, with the land divided into blocks, lots, and streets running at right angles. The River Ditch (Uintah Central Canal) was constructed and control taken of a small stream known as Spring Creek to bring additional irrigation water. A log school house was erected which served both school and meeting purposes. In 1854 a fort with massive dirt walls was constructed for protection against Indians. It enclosed an area one-fourth mile by 500 feet. This fort served as the center of the community and was used until 1868, when it was torn down for rail road grade fill.
Early industries outside of farming and stock raising included the manufacture of charcoal, broom, cane sugar molasses, as well as a small saw mill which cut up logs that floated down the Weber River. No figures are available as to the population of East Weber in the 1850s but early settlers state that the number of men and boys capable of militia training was 300. This indicates a population of 1,000 or more. It was soon discovered that more people had settled in East Weber than could be supported so the population thinned out to only twenty families. By 1863 land became so cheap that a city lot could be purchased for about fifteen. In 1867 the name of East Weber was changed to Easton by the settlers who remained in the valley.